As a former teacher and ever champion of reading and writing, I love visiting schools. I am currently in the process of setting up my 2018 – 2019 school visit calendar. My picture book visits are perfect for students, PreK thru Grade 2.
During a visit I typically do any or all of the following:
- Read the story using puppets to help with the story telling.
- Celebrate the special ability of picture books to tell a story using both pictures and words. Demonstrate that neither is complete without the other.
- Take the children on an engaging journey that shows how an idea goes from inspiration to publication (and get them excited about their own writing too!).
- Share interesting “artifacts” including early drafts & sketches, proofs, folded galleys & more.
- Participate in a Q&A session.
- Provide post-visit writing prompts so they can write their own illustrated stories!
Understanding that priorities differ, I will happily work with you to tailor the visit to your needs.
I prefer classroom presentations (30 – 40 minutes each) to whole school assemblies so students can better interact with the author, ask questions, and see the artifacts. Classes may be combined.
Options: 1/2 day (from start of day until lunch) or full day. I am also available for Skype visits.
For information regarding fees, visit details, book orders etc., please contact me via the “contact” tab in the blog header.
I look forward to hearing from you.