On Monday I shared 10 Tips to Foster a Love of Reading in Little Ones. At the end of the post, I invited readers to share other ideas. Picture book author Mindy Baker responded on Instagram with such thoughtful additions that I asked her if she’d be willing to share them with you all today. She said yes! Mindy Baker is an educator (who really knows her stuff!) as well as the author of one of my favorite Christmas picture books, MOUSE’S CHRISTMAS GIFT (Zonderkidz, 2018) about a mouse whose small act of faith on Christmas Eve sparks a chain reaction of hope and love, demonstrating that even the smallest creature can make a big difference. Now, without further fuss, enjoy FIVE more tips to foster a love of reading in little ones. And afterwards be sure to check out and sign up for Mindy’s new mini-magazine. (See link at end.)
FIVE MORE TIPS TO FOSTER A LOVE OF READING IN LITTLE ONES
by Mindy Baker
- Make sure to have a kid-sized bookshelf or reading area where books are in reach and accessible.
- Change the themes of the books kept in your reading area periodically to keep it interesting.
- As you read, ask questions to engage your little one.
- I wonder what will happen next in the story?
- I wonder what the main character is thinking?
- How do you think the main character feels?
- Can you find the _____? (Ask about something in the illustrations)
- Point to the ______? (Name something that the child could point to)
- What color is the ______? (Name an item in the illustrations)
- Don’t force your child to sit through a long book they don’t have the attention span for…remember, you don’t have to finish every page of every book!
- Use a silly character voice and make sound effects as your read…the sillier the better!
Mindy Baker, author of Mouse’s Christmas Gift, Zonderkidz 2018, resides in Indiana with her family where she is a high school Spanish teacher. She is a contributor for the new Read, Discuss, Do! website www.readdiscussdo.com as well as the website www.christianchildrensauthors.com. Through her writing, she hopes to plant seeds of truth in the hearts of her readers. Her goal is to help you connect with the kids in your life through books and quality time. You can connect with Mindy at www.mindybakerbooks.com.
Instagram: @mindybakerbooks https://www.instagram.com/mindybakerbooks/
Facebook: @mindybakerbooks https://www.facebook.com/mindybakerbooks
Twitter: @mindybakerbooks https://twitter.com/MindyBakerBooks
Pinterest: @mindybakerbooks https://www.pinterest.com/mindybakerbooks/_saved/